Shoutbox

Author Topic: Galactic Status Wiki Page?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
Galactic Status Wiki Page?
« on: 10/21/15, 01:45:58 PM »
So, this is a thing that I suggested a few months ago, want to bring it up again.

There's going to be a number of people that will not be able to play the new content without spoilers, and while the general consensus is that things are going to move forward to post-time-skip, but others want to avoid seeing spoilers while also, you know, RPing, because they aren't subs and aren't able to do so for a while.

My thought is to make a Wiki page with information on the state of the galaxy, as spoiler-free as possible while also giving sufficient information to get everyone up to speed, and updated as more chapters come out revealing more info about the galactic state.

This would just contain information that's common knowledge in the galaxy. Stuff that happens in the vicinity of the PC would only be included if it has those kinds of wide-reaching effects, and even then would be clearly marked with Spoiler tags.

As an example, if we were doing this for the post-Yavin-IV galaxy, it would mention that the Revanites exist, from traitors to both the Republic and the Empire, being led by someone that claims to be Revan. That they were in secret, but came out of hiding to make their big play.

It would mention, in spoiler tags, that Satele Shan and Darth Marr created a joint task force between the Empire and the Republic to kick the Revanites ass.

It would NOT mention that Revan actually is Revan, the weird ghost stuff, the resurrection of the Emperor, or really that Lana, Theron or Jakarro were involved.

Is this something that would be useful to peeps?
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Imp Side: Quarasha, Effet Ornell, Arazel, Zedney, Zhel, Asori-Alnas

Offline Joshmaul

• A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Status Wiki Page?
« Reply #1 on: 10/21/15, 02:16:12 PM »
It would be figured that the Emperor DID come back somehow, since Ziost was too big an event to really explain any other way. The specifics (Revan doing the splits, murderous Wookiee with Dr. Venture in droid form on his chest, the fact that kicking the Revanites' ass was why the Emperor came back, so on) - I agree, keep that on the down-low.
Circled tomb of a different age
Secret lines carved on ancient stone
Heroic kings laid down to rest
Forgotten is the race that no one knows

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/21/15, 02:19:56 PM »
Spoiler: show
It would be figured that the Emperor DID come back somehow, since Ziost was too big an event to really explain any other way. The specifics (Revan doing the splits, murderous Wookiee with Dr. Venture in droid form on his chest, the fact that kicking the Revanites' ass was why the Emperor came back, so on) - I agree, keep that on the down-low.

I was just talking about the "Shadows of Revan's been released, I haven't/can't play it, what should I know for RP" thing. It's a general example, since I don't want to mention spoilers for KOTFE in a post about how we should inform people about KOTFE stuff without spoiling it.
Character List:

Pub side: Lien Orell, Kyri Orell, Shaantil (possibly Dumas), Norland, Everen (bank alt ATM), Quarashaa (Pub version of the real Quarasha), Merrant

Offline Imazi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/21/15, 02:21:50 PM »
I think you need a spoiler tag here. :lol: This sounds like a necessary thing. It will also need to be expandable sine this story format release is going to be a continuous thing for the game. However, I don't think there is a way to do it without spoilers. They just need to be well marked.
Check my profile for links my short story and art work threads.

New to RPing? Check my Getting Started Guide.

Offline Aylaa

• Arbiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/21/15, 02:36:26 PM »
I....would need to make a spoiler module for the Wiki if we wanted one to work like the shiny new spoiler tag we have here on the forums. Such a thing is possible but not before the weekend at the veeeery earliest.

In general I think this is a nice idea. "what is the TLDR for the galaxy?"

Offline SivWysan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/21/15, 03:33:40 PM »
Sounds good to me!  Also a chance for some collaborative thinking on "what is fair common knowledge" going forward.  I've been struggling with my character's stances on the Revan/Imp truces; doubt they were terribly involved with the Revanites but its probably impacted some of the boldness of Maerin's own diplomacy with certain Sith colleagues on local issues in Hutt Space, since the Grand-fracken Master is known to have called a couple of truces now for other common threats (even as the Supreme Chancellor is still clearly out for blood) 

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/21/15, 03:45:25 PM »
So... You want to make a spoiler-free spoiler page?

Offline Orell

• Parts Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/21/15, 04:16:20 PM »
So... You want to make a spoiler-free spoiler page?

Spoiler-light, not Spoiler-free.

Knowing the general galactic state at the start of the time skip really only contains one (maaaaaaybe 2-3, depending on how you count them) significant spoiler for the stuff in the story itself:

Spoiler: Those Spoilers I just mentioned • show
Who's leading the Zempire, Darth Marr and Emperor Z's "death", although all of that happens in one scene.

Pretty much everything else is... it's stuff happening waaay over there. We need to know about the general environment we're dealing with, we don't need to know if the Outlander rescued a kitten from a tree.

The point of this would be to only spoil the things that you need to know to understand how to RP in the post-time-skip universe, keeping as much of the actual story of the expansion as unspoiled as possible.
« Last Edit: 10/21/15, 04:18:30 PM by Orell »
Character List:

Offline Wymarc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/21/15, 05:22:13 PM »
I would love for this to be a thing. Since reading about the alliance system earlier today I've been wanting to know the state of Alderaan. Trying to decide if I'm gonna be more active with taller when I return or if I'm gonna kill him off.
Jedi Master Telline - The Master of Shadows
Initiate Karia Zent - The Rising Hero
Aurena Durane - The Rogue Reporter

Offline oushizaryu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/21/15, 08:25:42 PM »
I agree - so long as it's a Spoiler Module as @Aylaa mentioned to protect innocent, untouched eyes from the true nature of things as they stand (hurhur).

But I don't care about spoilers myself, it would just bloody well help me with creating backgrounds for characters and whatnot! As well as remind me what in the world is going on...

Offline Karmic

• The Shadows Betray you, because they Serve Me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/21/15, 09:51:07 PM »
I also agree.

I normally only play through the story once, so a year or two after wards I always have trouble remembering what happened when where and what planet goes where...

Something like a TLDR: What's Happening Again Here? Type Wikki (that of course with spoiler tags yes!!) so we could use it whenever we needed a memory refresh for a post later on or RP or whatever.

And I too don't know quite where to start what ICily.....though I just started the story myself. :)

History Posts:  Her Backstory , Darth-Hood

Offline Toasty McGrath

• Nykel Rooks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10/21/15, 10:48:38 PM »
Well, I'll contribute however I can. I love describing settings.

Offline Noth

• The Jedi of Tira'Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10/29/15, 01:23:21 AM »
This would be incredibly useful! I haven't had good internet for a long time, and won't for a while, so I haven't been able to read things as they are posted or play through the new story at all. It would also be a handy reference for what you should know IC vs what you know OOC.

Just a question: Would there be stuff there that was less common knowledge but still known for specific factions or RP-able ranks? Thought maybe that's what you were thinking for your spoiler tags example in the OP but if not that would also be really useful.
The Jedi: Bren (Archaeologist), Iirim (Healer), Zorru (Recruiter), Orans (Master), Aybekk (Padawan)
The Politicians: Varooth (Senator), Seirion (Aide/Spy), Ayrak (King)
The Mandos: Urziya (Rallymaster), Terr (Chieftain)
The Outlaws: Telen (Slicer), Majia (Pirate/Smuggler)
The Imperials: Athuuna (Agent), Zhekrazh (Lord), Z'ridia (Apprentice)